Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Grandpa, Allen McIntosh

This poem is a tribute to my grandfather, who died on October 24, 1996. I read this poem to the assembled congregation at his funeral. God Bless you Grandpa, you will be missed.

How do I describe a man
Who was old when I was born,
Yet just a mere eight years older,
Than my Pop is right now?

These I'll always remember:
Of his left middle finger,
New olives in the cure bin
And the broom that followed it,

Cute little bunnies in cages
To see the dinner slaughter.
His old light blue pick-up truck,
Putter always by his side.

What knowledge is lost to us
Now that yo are dead and gone?
I am glad that I saw you
Before time took you away.

Grandpa, I loved you so much,
Never will I forget you.

10.26.96

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Counter